Pages

Friday, October 21, 2016

American Legion Sale Finds

The American Legion hall in my town has a ginormous book sale several times a year.

Most of the building is lined with tables filled with hardback and paperback books both old and new, magazines from 1990 and beyond, records, movies (most on VHS), etc.

Today, I made my first visit to the sale that's being held until the end of the weekend. Typically, I go through it at least twice to make sure I didn't miss any cool items.

My (first) American Legion sale haul

If you know me, or as you get to know me, you will come to find that I am a capital "S" Sucker for sales like this one. Per usual, I made it out of the sale with a heavy box-load of books, a couple of movies, and several cassette tapes. You heard that right: cassette tapes.

I drive a '99 Toyota Camry that still plays cassettes, so when I find cool old ones for like 25 cents, I go for it. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a Jeanette MacDonald + Nelson Eddy tape and a solo Nelson Eddy tape. I love them SO much, especially Nelson Eddy.

The fact that Nelson and Jeanette's names are handwritten on this tape make it even more special to me - not sure why. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in my tape deck. :( 



When I put this in my cassette player, the first song that played was "Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life" and I actually squealed when I heard the first note sung by Nelson. I love him so much.

For those of you not familiar with them, here's a song Nelson sings with Jeanette in Rose-Marie (1936). So romantic.


I found some awesome books, too. A couple of them include Carol Burnett's autobiography and a book on how to style scarves from the '80s. Rock on.




In all, I spent just under $13 for a box filled with goodies. Friends, never pass up a good sale.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment