Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Folklife Festival 2016: In Photos


The third weekend of October is an incredibly special time of year in my hometown. A longstanding event takes place downtown on Main Street called Folklife Festival. Many of us who were raised here have been fortunate enough to experience its splendor every year from childhood through adulthood.

It's one of those events that consistently brings back scads of college students and former residents for the entire weekend.

Local residents usually stroll the streets looking for their favorite food stands. Personally, I always head for the catfish sandwiches and kettle corn. That stuff is A+, to say the least. Live music from years past can be heard all along Main Street. Families bond, couples stroll, and dogs hang out with their humans on the sidewalk. For some of us, the crowds can get a bit overwhelming, but it's totally worth it.

On Saturday afternoon, I went down to the festival for about an hour with my friend Cori. I actually wasn't all that hungry (!!!), but I had no reason to worry, because I knew I'd be back on Sunday to cater to my lunch needs.

While I spent time down on Main Street with my friends on Saturday and Sunday, I decided to put my (mom's) camera to good use and the results turned out so much better than I even expected.


Folklife Festival 2016 through my lens:


Hello, Main Street!



Poems to Go - loved this. I had to inquire about this fascinating sign placed next to a beautiful typewriter in one of the festival venues. The woman in the photo types up poems about a subject that you suggest and based on your personality, etc.  

This guy made my day. He saw Cori and me walking toward him and noticed that I was pointing the camera lens all around and joyfully volunteered for a photo. I missed his peace sign, but at least I have a photo of him. He's from Alabama and was up here for business, but decided to enjoy the weekend's festivities by chilling outside the place he was staying with a couple of drinks. He was so sweet.






This was the weekend to meet awesome people. Seriously. I sat down and waited for my friends at the Cheese Haus patio on Sunday. This couple happened to be chilling out and we talked for a few minutes. Mike and Bonnie live in St. Louis and decided to make a road trip up here. They had no clue what they were walking into!

A bee found its demise in my nearly-empty bottle of root beer. I found out the hard-ish way by taking a swig and feeling something that wasn't root beer on my lips. Buzz buzz.


Feline good.




No comments:

Post a Comment